Same Sex adoption as it is most commonly referred to or LGBT adoption simply means the adoption of a child by a lesbian, gay, bisexual or trans-gendered couple.
In the past, gay couples have had to be secretive in adopting a child due to certain prejudices that existed against homosexuality. For example, one partner would adopt the child as a single parent and the other would pretend to be a roommate or friend.
Currently in Canada a gay couple can legally marry and they are allowed to adopt, but in the United States it is dependent upon each individual state. Here is a sample of countries and states where same sex adoption is legal and where it is prohibited.
I love this video about "The Fight for Lesbian and Gay Adoption Rights" watch it a see for yourself. Also, learn the latest statistics on gay adoption.
To date, all research in the area of same sex adoption has come to the same conclusion:
1. The children of LGBT parents grow up as successfully as heterosexual parents. In fact, not a single study has found that children of gay or lesbian couples to be disadvantaged because of their parent’s sexual orientation.
2. There is no evidence to suggest that gay or lesbian couples are unfit to be parents.
3. Home environments with LGBT couples are as likely to successfully support a child’s development as those with heterosexual parents.
4. Good parenting is not influenced by sexual orientation. Rather, it is influenced most profoundly by a parent’s ability to create a loving and nurturing home – an ability that does not depend on whether a parent is gay or straight.
5. There is no evidence to suggest that the child of a gay or lesbian couple is less intelligent, suffers more from problems, is less popular or has a lower self-esteem than a child of a heterosexual couple.
6. The children of LGBT parents grow up just as happy, healthy and well-adjusted as the children of heterosexual parents.
So , Are there any different laws or guidelines for a gay adoption?
According to the Child Welfare League of American and the North American Council on Adoptable Children, they both state that gay adoptions should be evaluated just like adoptions of all other applicants.
How Do I Feel About Homosexual Adoption
A couple of men who I know are gay, they are in a long-term committed relationship and have recently adopted. The boy’s background was less than happy, however now he has TWO very loving parents who are doing everything within their power to change his life for the better.
They are a happy family, well-adjusted and financially and emotionally secure. THIS IS GREAT!! And I can't say that about some heterosexual parents that I know.
There are some people who will say that an adopted child will be teased about having gay parents. Kids will be kids. What child doesn’t get teased? If it isn't for having gay parents then it's for being overweight or having red hair, or different skin color.
It is up to parents to teach their children about diversity?! (No, I'm not suggesting explicit details be given, but differences are inevitable in life and can properly be put into a child's perspective.)
Gay couples adopt children for the same reason as straight couples or even single parents do - to provide for, love, and raise another human being. What part of this is not "safe and morally ok"???
It is 2010. At what point will people stop being so close-minded and live with a little positivity?
A quote from an unknown “People are like fingers, all different. But in the end they are still fingers”.
**Related Same Sex Adoption Articles**
About Gay and Lesbian Adoption
Gay and lesbian adoption is as much of a controversy as gay and lesbian marriage. Both issues have been met with much opposition.....
Gay or Second Parent Adoption
The legalities of same sex adoption, can often be ambiguous, obscure, or just plain confusing as it varies from state to state in the U.S. and across countries around the world.
Same Sex Adoption - Controversay
Same sex adoption is relatively new as a social issue, at least within the public consciousness. It is often seen as such a controversial subject. It is a hotly contested issue, with firmly held opinions.
Against Gay Adoption
Against - Children need a role model. For - What about other family members and friends. Are you for or against gay adoption?
Studies have shown that children tend to blossom in same sex families. The problem is that when pursuing a homosexual adoption only one of you is usually allowed to adopt the child.
Return from Same Sex Adoption to Children for Adoption
This site does not substitute legal or professional advice.The accuracy and personal
relevancy of this information is not guaranteed.
Consult the services of a recommended lawyer or agency.
© Copyright Child-Adoption-Matters.com 2015. All rights reserved.